- Sigma Affiliation
Visits vs Downloads
Visitors - World Map
Top Visiting Countries
Top Visiting Cities
Visits (last 6 months)
Downloads (last 6 months)
Popular Works for Elia, Clifford by View
Popular Works for Elia, Clifford by Download
STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM:
A DESCRIPTIVE STUDY ON THE PERCEPTION AND PRACTICE OF SELECTED CONTRACEPTIVE METHODS AMONG TARGET POPULATION IN THE SELECTED AREAS OF MUMBAI.
- To assess the perception of the target population regarding the selected contraceptive methods.
- To analyse the practises of the target population regarding the use of contraceptive methods in them.
- To associate the scores of practices of the target population regarding the use of selected contraceptive method with their perception score.
The study aims at finding out the perception & practices of selected contraceptives among the target population, hence the descriptive design was considered to be appropriate & therefore accepted.
SAMPLING TECHNIQUE AND SAMPLE SIZE:-
Convenient Purposive sampling technique was used. Sample size was 40.
Bhandup and Mulund, Mumbai.
Technique Used:- Interview technique is used.
Tool :- Tool consists of three sections.
Section 1:- Demographic Data
Section 2:- Perception related questions.
Section 3:- Practice related questions.
FINDINGS OF THE STUDY.
- In our study 70% respondents are female & 30% respondents are males.
- Majority belongs to Hindu religion & only 20% belongs to Christian religion.
- Majority of the respondents falls in the age group of 33 – 38yrs i.e.37.5%.
- Majority of respondents have completed their secondary education i.e. 27%.
- Most of the respondents are married for more than 14yrs.
Findings about perception
- Overall, 64% people have positive perception towards contraceptions.
- It shows that 71.5% agree, that religion is not a barrier for contraception use . However, 58.5% respondents think that contraceptives are expensive.
- It also shows that 85.5% respondents approve use of contraception & 89% respondents agree that contraceptives are effective for avoiding pregnancy.
Findings about practice:
In regard to practice, study shows that condoms are used 100% effectively, 69.23% for Oral Pills and 42.85% for IUD’s.
Correlation coefficient between perception and practice is positively correlated i.e., r= 0.2 and P<0.0001. It is statistically significant at 0.05% .
Being the second most populous country in the world, India has strategies to stabilise population which in turn hinders the socio economic development of the country. In this current situation contraceptives have emerged as the widely used method to stabilise the population. According to this study the respondents have positive perception towards contraception which reflects in their practice. But still the aim of stabilising population is not yet attained.
All rights reserved by the author(s) and/or publisher(s) listed in this item record unless relinquished in whole or part by a rights notation or a Creative Commons License present in this item record.
All permission requests should be directed accordingly and not to the Sigma Repository.
All submitting authors or publishers have affirmed that when using material in their work where they do not own copyright, they have obtained permission of the copyright holder prior to submission and the rights holder has been acknowledged as necessary.