Advocacy: Strategies for staff under stress
Author DetailsKaren Tomajan, RN, MS, NEA-BC, is a nursing educator, author, leader and advocate for professional advancement in nursing. She has dedicated her career to promoting advocacy. From facilitating healthy work environments to managing patient care situations, advocacy has shaped her life’s work. Her publication topics include advocacy, professional development and the image of nursing. Karen has served in elected and appointed roles for a number of state and national organizations. She is currently an educator in independent practice.
Original PublisherSigma Theta Tau International
Date of Publication2020-12-02
Version of PublicationPublisher’s Version
Visits vs Downloads
Visitors - World Map
Top Visiting Countries
Top Visiting Cities
Visits (last 6 months)
Downloads (last 6 months)
Popular Works for Tomajan, Karen L. by View
Popular Works for Tomajan, Karen L. by Download
These are some unprecedented times, requiring new skills and ways of thinking. Some of the challenges we are experiencing included:
- Societal and demographic changes
- Political and social divisiveness and unrest
- Health care system challenges
- Most pervasive pandemic of our lifetime: Untold loss of life and health | Upended lives of our citizens | Unimagined stress and sacrifice for health care providers (HCP) | Economic uncertainty impacting individuals, businesses, and industries
Those who listen to this webinar will be able to:
- Define advocacy and advocate
- Discuss the skills of an advocate
- List the steps in the advocacy process
- Apply advocacy skills to various situations and venues
- Identify potential challenges and facilitators to advocacy
- Differentiate between advocacy and activism, and application of each
For information on accessing the Sigma CNE course (separate from the Sigma Repository), please click here: https://www.sigmarepository.org/sigma-elearning-platform/.
Upon entering the Sigma eLearning Platform, search for the keyword "Webinar".
DescriptionVideo Length: Approximately 1 hour
Repository Posting Date2020-12-02T23:34:00Z
NotesThe presentation video and slide show files are attached to this item record.
The recorded presentation is available in this record as a streamable embed for patrons' convenience.
Level of EvidenceExpert Opinion (nationally/internationally recognized)
All rights reserved by the author(s) and/or publisher(s) listed in this item record unless relinquished in whole or part by a rights notation or a Creative Commons License present in this item record.
All permission requests should be directed accordingly and not to the Sigma Repository.
All submitting authors or publishers have affirmed that when using material in their work where they do not own copyright, they have obtained permission of the copyright holder prior to submission and the rights holder has been acknowledged as necessary.