Advocacy: Strategies for staff under stress
Karen Tomajan, RN, MS, NEA-BC, is a nursing educator, author, leader and advocate for professional advancement in nursing. She has dedicated her career to promoting advocacy. From facilitating healthy work environments to managing patient care situations, advocacy has shaped her life’s work. Her publication topics include advocacy, professional development and the image of nursing. Karen has served in elected and appointed roles for a number of state and national organizations. She is currently an educator in independent practice.
- Sigma Affiliation
Visits vs Downloads
Visitors - World Map
Top Visiting Countries
Top Visiting Cities
Visits (last 6 months)
Downloads (last 6 months)
Popular Works for Tomajan, Karen L. by View
Popular Works for Tomajan, Karen L. by Download
These are some unprecedented times, requiring new skills and ways of thinking. Some of the challenges we are experiencing included:
- Societal and demographic changes
- Political and social divisiveness and unrest
- Health care system challenges
- Most pervasive pandemic of our lifetime: Untold loss of life and health | Upended lives of our citizens | Unimagined stress and sacrifice for health care providers (HCP) | Economic uncertainty impacting individuals, businesses, and industries
Those who listen to this webinar will be able to:
- Define advocacy and advocate
- Discuss the skills of an advocate
- List the steps in the advocacy process
- Apply advocacy skills to various situations and venues
- Identify potential challenges and facilitators to advocacy
- Differentiate between advocacy and activism, and application of each
Sigma Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Opportunity:
This webinar is eligible for CPD contact hours. CPD eligibility may end, but the attached file(s) and video embed in this item record are open, free, and permanently available to everyone.
To receive your nursing continuing professional development (CPD) certificate for viewing this webinar, sign in to the Sigma eLearning platform using the links below. Once logged in, you will need to complete the course that has the same title as this item record. You will not need to watch the webinar again.
- Sigma members: Sign in here to access your free CPD.
- If you are not a Sigma member, create an account to access your CPD, although a fee may be required. Interested in becoming a Sigma member? Learn more.
If you need CPD-related assistance, email email@example.com.
Accreditation: Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing (Sigma) is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
|Evidence Level||Expert Opinion (nationally/internationally recognized)|
Nursing Skills Acquisition;
Nursing During a Pandemic;
|Publisher||Sigma Theta Tau International|
All rights reserved by the author(s) and/or publisher(s) listed in this item record unless relinquished in whole or part by a rights notation or a Creative Commons License present in this item record.
All permission requests should be directed accordingly and not to the Sigma Repository.
All submitting authors or publishers have affirmed that when using material in their work where they do not own copyright, they have obtained permission of the copyright holder prior to submission and the rights holder has been acknowledged as necessary.