Now showing items 1-5 of 5
Alarm Management: A Quality Improvement Project to Decreased Non-Actionable Cardiac Telemetry Alarms
A high number of non-actionable cardiac alarms compromise patient safety. Up to 99% of telemetry alarms are false or non-actionable, leaving nurses to guess which 1% of alarms are real. This alarm fatigue phenomenon leaves ...
Improving patient satisfaction through implementing AIDET
Hospital Consumer Assessment of Health- care Provider and System (HCAHPS) scores are key metrics that evaluate quality patient care within health- care system. Many studies reveal that an effective communication strategy ...
Quality Improvement Program: Implementation of Chronic Care Management Services in an Affordable Care Organization
Chronic diseases are the leading cause of death and disability in the United States each year. According to the Group Health Research Institute (2015), almost one-half of all Americans have one or more chronic health ...
Implementing a Diabetic Foot Care Program in a Primary Care Clinic
Diabetes mellitus is a disease that can result in serious microvascular and macrovascular complications if hyperglycemia is not adequately controlled. These complications include a number of lower extremity problems such ...
A Quality Improvement Plan to Decrease Acute Care Transfers through Better Staff Communication about Status Changes Among Assisted Living Residents
Elderly residents of assisted living facilities (ALFs) are generally frail and may have multiple comorbidities (National Center for Assisted Living, 2010). Inadequate communication of changes in resident status precludes ...